Commentary Creative Commons, CC-BY
Ethiopian Community Attitude Towards the O-Words (Overweight and Obesity); As A Symbol Of Wealth, Health, Beauty, Comfort, Honesty, Dignity, Respect And Confidence Which Should Be A Turning Point For Their Detrimental Effects
*Corresponding author: Wondu Reta Demissie, Department of Biomedical sciences, Jimma University, Institute of Health, Ethiopia.
Received: February 21, 2019; Published: February 26, 2019
- World Health Organization (1995) Physical status: The use of and interpretation of anthropometry, Report of a WHO Expert Committee.
- Country Prevalence - Mean BMI, BMI, Data Visualisations, NCD-RisC.
- Neuman M, Kawachi I, Gortmaker S, Subramanian SV (2013) Urbanrural differences in BMI in low-and middle-income countries: the role of socioeconomic status. Am J Clin Nutr 97(2): 428-436.
- Finucane MM, Stevens GA, Cowan MJ, Danaei G, Lin JK, et al. (2011) National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants. Lancet 377(9765): 557-567.
- Abarca Gómez L, Abdeen ZA, Hamid ZA, Abu Rmeileh NM, Acosta Cazares B, et al. (2017) Worldwide trends in body-mass index, underweight, overweight, and obesity from 1975 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2416 population-based measurement studies in 128·9 million children, adolescents, and adults. Lancet 390(10113): 2627-2642.
- Mariachiara Di Cesare, James Bentham, Gretchen A Stevens, Bin Zhou, Goodarz Danaei, et al. (2016) Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: A pooled analysis of 1698 populationbased measurement studies with 19.2 million participants. The Lancet 387(10026): 1377-96.
- Puoane T, Fourie JM, Shapiro M, Rosling L, Tshaka NC, et al. (2016) Big is beautiful-an exploration with urban black community health workers in a South African township. South Afr J Clin Nutr 18(1): 6-15.
- Yu NW, Chen CY, Liu CY, Chau YL, Chang CM (2011) Association of body mass index and depressive symptoms in a Chinese community population: results from the Health Promotion Knowledge, Attitudes, and Performance Survey in Taiwan. Chang Gung Med J 34(6): 620-627.
- Treloar C, Porteous J, Hassan F, Kasniyah N, Lakshmanudu M, et al. (1999) The cross cultural context of obesity: an INCLEN multicentre collaborative study. Health Place 5(4): 279-286.
- Van Itallie TB (1985) Health implications of overweight and obesity in the United States. Ann Intern Med 103(6_Part_2): 983-988.
- Oliver JE (2006) Fat politics: the real story behind America’s obesity epidemic. Oxford University Press New York, pp. 240.
- Prospective Studies Collaboration, Whitlock G, Lewington S, Sherliker P, Clarke R, Emberson J, et al. (2009) Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet 373(9669): 1083-1096.
- Djalalinia S, Qorbani M, Peykari N, Kelishadi R (2015) Health impacts of obesity. Pak J Med Sci 31(1): 239.
- Lu Y, Hajifathalian K, Ezzati M, Woodward M, Rimm EB, et al. (2014) Metabolic mediators of the effects of body-mass index, overweight, and obesity on coronary heart disease and stroke: a pooled analysis of 97 prospective cohorts with 1· 8 million participants. Lancet 383(9921): 970-83.
- Singh GM, Danaei G, Farzadfar F, Stevens GA, Woodward M, et al. (2013) The age-specific quantitative effects of metabolic risk factors on cardiovascular diseases and diabetes: a pooled analysis. PloS One 8(7): e65174.
- Prentice AM (2005) The emerging epidemic of obesity in developing countries. Int J Epidemiol 35(1): 93-99.
- Cohen L, Perales DP, Steadman C (2005) The O word: why the focus on obesity is harmful to community health. Californian J Health Promot 3(3): 154-161.
- Thomas S, Hyde J, Komesaroff P (2007) Cheapening the struggle: Obese people’s attitudes towards The Biggest Loser. Obesity Management 3(5): 210-215.