Commentary Creative Commons, CC-BY
Adverse Childhood Experiences in a Group of Inpatient Treatment-Seeking Individuals with Prescription Opioid Use Disorder
*Corresponding author: Suchismita Ray, Ph.D, Department of Health Informatics, School of Health Professions, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 65 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ, USA.
Received: October 3, 2019; Published: October 24, 2019
This research was supported by a National Institute on Drug Abuse grant (R03DA044496) to Dr. Suchismita Ray. The author is thankful to Mr. Robert Budsock, the CEO of Integrity House and Mr. Thomas Lusch, the Senior Director of Integrity House for allowing her to recruit individuals with prescription opioid use disorder from their facility for this research. Finally, the author is grateful to the patients whose data were used in this report
Conflict of Interest
The author has no conflict of interest to declare
- Back SE, Gros DF, Price M, La Rowe S, Flanagan J, et al. (2015) Laboratoryinduced stress and craving among individuals with prescription opioid dependence. Drug and alcohol depend 155: 60-67.
- Florence C, Luo F, Xu L, Zhou C (2016) The economic burden of prescription opioid overdose, abuse and dependence in the United States, 2013. Med care 54(10): 901-906.
- Bose J, Hedden SL, Lipari RN, Park-Lee E, Porter JD, et al. (2016) Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Department of Health and Human Services
- Feingold D, Brill S, Goor-Aryeh I, Delayahu Y, Lev-Ran S (2018) The association between severity of depression and prescription opioid misuse among chronic pain patients with and without anxiety: A crosssectional study. J Affect Disord 235: 293-302.
- Khan S, Michmizos K, Tommerdahl M, Ganesan S, Kitzbichler MG, et al. (2015) Somatosensory cortex functional connectivity abnormalities in autism show opposite trends, depending on direction and spatial scale. Brain 138(5): 1394-1409.
- Quinn K, Boone L, Scheidell JD, Mateu-Gelabert P, McGorray SP, et al. (2016) The relationships of childhood trauma and adulthood prescription pain reliever misuse and injection drug use. Drug Alcohol Depend 169: 190-198.
- Perry BD, Pollard R (1998) Homeostasis, stress, trauma, and adaptation: A neurodevelopmental view of childhood trauma. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 7(1): 33-51.
- Dunn EC, Nishimi K, Powers A, Bradley B (2017) Is developmental timing of trauma exposure associated with depressive and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in adulthood? J Psychiatr Res 84: 119-127.
- Dworkin ER, Ojalehto H, Bedard-Gilligan MA, Cadigan JM, Kaysen D (2018) Social support predicts reductions in PTSD symptoms when substances are not used to cope: A longitudinal study of sexual assault survivors. J Affect Disord 229: 135-140.
- McHugh RK, Gratz KL, Tull MT (2017) The role of anxiety sensitivity in reactivity to trauma cues in treatment-seeking adults with substance use disorders. Compr Psychiatry 78: 107-114.
- Felitti IVJ, Anda RF (2007) Adverse childhood experiences and stress: paying the piper. ACE reporter.
- Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein R (1983) A global measure of perceived stress. J Health Soc Behav 24(4): 385-396.
- Weathers FW, Litz BT, Keane TM, Palmieri PA, Marx BP, et al. (2013) The ptsd checklist for dsm-5 (pcl-5). Scale available from the National Center for PTSD.
- Hamilton MAX (1959) The assessment of anxiety states by rating. Br J Med Psychol 32(1): 50-55.
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK (1996) Beck depression inventory-II. San Antonio 78(2): 490-498.
- Karavidas MK, Lehrer PM, Vaschillo E, Vaschillo B, Marin H, et al. (2007) Preliminary results of an open label study of heart rate variability biofeedback for the treatment of major depression. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback 32(1): 19-30.
- Lehrer PM, Gevirtz R (2014) Heart rate variability biofeedback: how and why does it work? Frontiers in psychol 5: 756.